While examining the heritage of the traditional medical systems around the world, we would understand that since ancient times equal importance was given not only to pre-conception and pregnancy care but as well to the post-partum care. The understanding of the TCM is that proper post-partum care can strengthen congenitally weak body. On the other hand, improper recovery after childbirth can lead to weakening of congenitally strong body constitution.
To date in many countries around the world is culturally accepted that female relatives would provide care for the new mom the first 30-40 days after she has given birth. Special massages (ayurvedic medicine) are given and belly raps are applied (all traditional medicines). In TCM moxibustion therapy is applied as early as 4-5 days post-partum and it is carried on for at least 10 treatments. As needed, it can be repeated for two additional treatment sessions of 10. Unfortunately, in the Western world we observe moms with new born babies walking in the malls (before the COVID outbreak) and waiting in pediatrician’s office for routine check-ups as early as 3-4 days post-partum. Long-term this leads to weakened immune system and later in life these mothers might experience urinary incontinence and prolapse.
Our Post-Partum Program starts as early as 1-2 weeks after labour. It consists of the following:
1. Intense moxibustion to recuperate as fast as possible
2. Nutrition and lifestyle advice, including childcare strategies, breastfeeding positions and advice in sleeping patterns for the mom and the baby
3. Acupuncture to improve lactation
4. Assessment and treatment of diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscle) and advice in belly rapping
5. Postural assessment, advice in breastfeeding positions and home exercise program
6. At week six post-partum: internal examination and assessment of the pelvic floor muscles, including pelvic floor strengthening, treatment of scar tissue from episiotomies and/or tears